Christmas Letter
Dear Family and Friends, Fearing a truly boring and/or cheesy Christmas letter from my parents I am, again, doing the writing. Also, I would like to make it known that my Mother mentioned that if I wrote a Christmas letter on my blog (http://ruthedens.blogspot.com) she and Dad might “borrow” it. I think I have let them get away with not writing the Christmas letter for too long. I mean, come on, it’s not like they are busy during the holidays!
This year I am going to do something a little different regarding the Christmas letter. I am actually going to make it a little bit “churchy” as I like to say. This summer I was invited to preach about the United Church of Christ's "God is Still Speaking" campaign. However, I was unable to do it because I got sick. But I kept the sermon:
While thinking about what I was going to say I was reminded of my own journey to Massachusetts several months ago. It may be a bit of a stretch to compare my experience with “God is Still Speaking” so bear with me. I think we should take a step back from “God is still Speaking” and first say that God is still listening. In the weeks before graduation I found myself overwhelmed with emotions: accomplishment, happiness, butalso sadness and fear. There was sadness about the chapter that was coming to an end and fear of the “real world.” I made it through college. I graduated with two degrees. My resume was complete. Everything I thought was going to happen…didn’t. However, God was still listening. In April I got a phone call from my mother, a UCC minister in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, telling me that a “really cool” woman named Donna Schaper had an internship in Amherst, Massachusetts that I could apply for. Now I don’tknow about you, but when my mom says someone is “really cool,” I don’t always believe her. Still, it sounded like a great opportunity and it was only for the summer. So I packed up my car and drove up I-95, expecting to fall into a black hole somewhere north of New York City. I had never moved before. I had never driven solo for such a distance. I had never met the family I was going to live with. Everything was brand new. Yet, God was still listening. My internship ended almost two months ago, and as much as I hate to admit it, my mother was actually right about Donna; she is“really cool.”
God has been listening, God has been speaking, and God has been blessing me. In addition to my travels, I have received the gift of a new family member. This past June my cousin Ross married Laurie. Mom and I were able to attend the wedding; it was beautiful. I have never seen my cousin so happy. Also, this past July I was able to attend General Synod in Atlanta along with Donna Schaper, Warren Goldstein, Mom and Dad.
This past September I believe God was calling me when I was offered the position of Global Ministries Intern. I will be serving in Beirut, Lebanon for the next two years. I left Raleigh/Durham Airport on October 17th for Paris, France to be oriented by Tim Rose who also served in Beirut. I arrived here in Beirut on October 22nd.
As far as what Mom and Dad have been doing this year, I guess just working. It sounds as though they will be coming to visit next summer, which is very exciting.
I hope this letter finds all of you well. Please know that you always have a place to stay in Beirut. Take care and much love to you all.
Ruth Edens
This year I am going to do something a little different regarding the Christmas letter. I am actually going to make it a little bit “churchy” as I like to say. This summer I was invited to preach about the United Church of Christ's "God is Still Speaking" campaign. However, I was unable to do it because I got sick. But I kept the sermon:
While thinking about what I was going to say I was reminded of my own journey to Massachusetts several months ago. It may be a bit of a stretch to compare my experience with “God is Still Speaking” so bear with me. I think we should take a step back from “God is still Speaking” and first say that God is still listening. In the weeks before graduation I found myself overwhelmed with emotions: accomplishment, happiness, butalso sadness and fear. There was sadness about the chapter that was coming to an end and fear of the “real world.” I made it through college. I graduated with two degrees. My resume was complete. Everything I thought was going to happen…didn’t. However, God was still listening. In April I got a phone call from my mother, a UCC minister in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, telling me that a “really cool” woman named Donna Schaper had an internship in Amherst, Massachusetts that I could apply for. Now I don’tknow about you, but when my mom says someone is “really cool,” I don’t always believe her. Still, it sounded like a great opportunity and it was only for the summer. So I packed up my car and drove up I-95, expecting to fall into a black hole somewhere north of New York City. I had never moved before. I had never driven solo for such a distance. I had never met the family I was going to live with. Everything was brand new. Yet, God was still listening. My internship ended almost two months ago, and as much as I hate to admit it, my mother was actually right about Donna; she is“really cool.”
God has been listening, God has been speaking, and God has been blessing me. In addition to my travels, I have received the gift of a new family member. This past June my cousin Ross married Laurie. Mom and I were able to attend the wedding; it was beautiful. I have never seen my cousin so happy. Also, this past July I was able to attend General Synod in Atlanta along with Donna Schaper, Warren Goldstein, Mom and Dad.
This past September I believe God was calling me when I was offered the position of Global Ministries Intern. I will be serving in Beirut, Lebanon for the next two years. I left Raleigh/Durham Airport on October 17th for Paris, France to be oriented by Tim Rose who also served in Beirut. I arrived here in Beirut on October 22nd.
As far as what Mom and Dad have been doing this year, I guess just working. It sounds as though they will be coming to visit next summer, which is very exciting.
I hope this letter finds all of you well. Please know that you always have a place to stay in Beirut. Take care and much love to you all.
Ruth Edens

1 Comments:
Ruth,
Got your parents' card and decided to check it out and see what you're up to. Wow! I look forward to keeping up with your wonderful adventure. You'll be in my prayers.
Sharon Fox White
Post a Comment
<< Home