Sunday, April 23, 2006

Prayer Room



One of my experiences in Abu Dhabi that I did not mention in my first Blog entry was that Emily and I became friends with some of the women from Zayed University. We had a wonderful time getting to know each other, asking questions about each other’s lives, and simply being girls. On the last day I found myself asking a lot of questions about religious and cultural issues. One of the blessings of the conference was that it was a safe environment to ask all the questions that one may feel silly asking. Emily and I asked about the prayer rooms for the men and women that were part of the bathrooms! We continued asking questions about it until finally one of the girls asked if we would like to go in. I felt silly, but at the same time so excited to have the opportunity and to be welcomed in by friends. So after a little giggling, we entered first the wash room. At first I was a little unsure and nervous, but then looking around I realized I was among friends. There was nothing that I could do “wrong,” or that would cause offence. So we all sat down in a row, washing our faces, arms, and feet. We then proceeded to the prayer room where some of my friends prayed and some stood with Emily and I explaining the room to us. It was amazing. There I was, standing in a row, facing Mecca with women from all over the world giving thanks for the opportunity to meet each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home