Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Peace be upon you

This past Sunday Tim Rose, Rami, Emily, Julie, Etienne and I went to the southern part of Lebanon. When Tim told me not to make plans on Sunday I was not thinking that this day would be life changing. We (Tim, Etienne and I) started our trip at 10 o’clock in the morning then we picked up Rami (a good friend of Tim’s from when he was here in Lebanon), and Julie and her daughter Emily (friends of Rami’s). Once we got going I realized that today was going to be a little different then my usual “Beirut” days. South of Beirut I saw banana trees. They were everywhere! Being from the Southeastern United States, I am used to cotton and tobacco fields. A banana tree is exciting, exotic! Then on to the cities of Sidon and Tyre.
I also saw my first mountain of trash. I had never seen anything like it. It elicited a strong reaction in me. I have to be honest I’m not one to preach about recycling. This is the sort of thing you discuss in class.It exists on TV, not right in front of you.
South of Tyre we stopped along the coast and put our feet in the water. Our journey took us past UN camps where we saw UN peacekeepers in tanks. We also saw a few Palestinian Camps. We saw signs that said, “land mines.” We went as close as the road would take us to the border of Lebanon and Israel. And then after taking all of this in we went to a crusaders' castle, reminding us of the long history of Lebanon’s many “visitors.” Lebanon is so beautiful: the mountains, the sea, banana trees, orange trees, lemon trees, and avocado trees and the people are beautiful. You name it and it is here and so much of it destroyed.
We ended the day with a visit to Rami’s family. We stopped at their home so he could pick up some things to bring back to Beirut. While we were there, his brother and sister-in-law stopped by. Instead of recognizing that we are definitely not at home and not in Beirut, I instinctively went to shake hands with Rami’s brother. Thankfully he was kind and explained he does not shake hands with women (even now I am embarrassed about it). I could shake hands with his wife. I was also taught that in the future I am to put my right hand over my heart and may say ‘Salaam ‘alaykum’ or in English “Peace be upon you.” I thought this to be a perfect phrase to end this day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home