Back to School



I know I told many of you that I would keep up my blog while in Seminary so here we go.
I need to begin by rewinding to my first experiences here at Andover-Newton. I left Chapel Hill with two suitcases, both weighing 50 pounds each (exact amount that you can take on a plane) and shipping myself 2 boxes from Chapel Hill Sportswear of random stuff needed, including all of my shoes (what is a girl to do without her shoes!) After moving in I went into that wonderful panic mode of “oh my God, I don’t know anyone”. I realize that we all go through this moment, especially in starting school, but I definitely forgot about it until I went to the cafeteria for the first time. There is something very intimidating about walking into a room of people who all seem to know what they are doing and know each other and just sit down. I think I somewhat expected that things would go the way they did for Forest Gump on the bus “This seat is taken”. But of course, people were kind, I have started meeting people and it has turned out to be a wonderful experience thus far.
Also, something that is interesting to me is the diversity in seminary now, especially in age. In no way do I mean any disrespect to those older and wiser than me, but average age in seminary is between 30 and 40. Now as one of the youngest and newest students, it has been very intimidating walking into a class and believing I have something to offer. And I know I have had a different experience than others because of growing up at UCCH and my time in Beirut, I know. However, having faith that my question in class is just as relevant and important as that of my peer who is in their early 50’s and has had much more life experience than I and many more degrees after their name is REALLY hard. I know, I just have to get over it and not care because it's my education and my knowledge that I need to be concerned with, but “biting the bullet” and raising my hand is one of those ridiculous things I’m nervous about.
Last but not least I’m including pictures from the wonderful snowball fight that happened last week. I was able to gather some people together to have an amazing time in front of the school. See…divinity students do have fun :)
I need to begin by rewinding to my first experiences here at Andover-Newton. I left Chapel Hill with two suitcases, both weighing 50 pounds each (exact amount that you can take on a plane) and shipping myself 2 boxes from Chapel Hill Sportswear of random stuff needed, including all of my shoes (what is a girl to do without her shoes!) After moving in I went into that wonderful panic mode of “oh my God, I don’t know anyone”. I realize that we all go through this moment, especially in starting school, but I definitely forgot about it until I went to the cafeteria for the first time. There is something very intimidating about walking into a room of people who all seem to know what they are doing and know each other and just sit down. I think I somewhat expected that things would go the way they did for Forest Gump on the bus “This seat is taken”. But of course, people were kind, I have started meeting people and it has turned out to be a wonderful experience thus far.
Also, something that is interesting to me is the diversity in seminary now, especially in age. In no way do I mean any disrespect to those older and wiser than me, but average age in seminary is between 30 and 40. Now as one of the youngest and newest students, it has been very intimidating walking into a class and believing I have something to offer. And I know I have had a different experience than others because of growing up at UCCH and my time in Beirut, I know. However, having faith that my question in class is just as relevant and important as that of my peer who is in their early 50’s and has had much more life experience than I and many more degrees after their name is REALLY hard. I know, I just have to get over it and not care because it's my education and my knowledge that I need to be concerned with, but “biting the bullet” and raising my hand is one of those ridiculous things I’m nervous about.
Last but not least I’m including pictures from the wonderful snowball fight that happened last week. I was able to gather some people together to have an amazing time in front of the school. See…divinity students do have fun :)

1 Comments:
Haha! I can see your blog.
Post a Comment
<< Home